In accordance with Section 35160.5 of the California State Education Code, residents of the Hesperia Unified School District may apply to enroll their student(s) in a school other than their neighborhood school for the 2020-2021 school year, if space is available. It should be noted that space may be available with certain restrictions.
Intradistrict/Open Enrollment transfers will be accepted at your school of choice unless one or more of the following conditions exist:
1. It would result in the displacement of students who reside in the school’s boundaries by transferees from outside the school’s boundaries;
2. It would cause the school to exceed class size average established by the California State Education Code;
3. It would cause the school to exceed the maximum capacity established by the district for each school;
4. It would cause the school to exceed maximum class size established by the Class Size Reduction Program;
5. It would cause a negative impact on the racial and ethnic balance of the school’s population.
An open enrollment application period for ALL SCHOOLS will be held from February 21 through March 20, 2020 at 5:00 pm. Open enrollment application forms should be submitted during this time frame to the school you are requesting to transfer to or to the Director of Student Services’ office, located at the Hesperia Unified School District Office, 15576 Main Street. Applications will not be approved if they are submitted outside the stated open enrollment timelines.
Should the number of applications received exceed the space available at a specific school site and/or grade level, a lottery drawing will be held on April 3, 2020, to determine priority for open enrollment. Parents/Guardians of student(s) participating in the lottery will be notified of the lottery dates and times no later than April 1, 2020. Parents will be informed of the outcome of the lottery no later than April 10, 2020.
Due to CIF regulations, special consideration should be given by high school students wishing to participate in the open enrollment process. The CIF regulation regarding open enrollment and its effect on athletic eligibility is printed on the back of the open enrollment application form. Should you have any questions regarding your student(s’) athletic eligibility, please contact the Athletic Director at your school of choice.
If you have any questions regarding this process, please call Kelly Garcia at (760) 244-4411, ext. 7233.
For required enrollment documents, see the Hesperia Unified Enrollment webpage.
For Intra-District transfer documents, see the Hesperia Unified District Transfer webpage.
For you printing convenience, you can download a PDF of the Open Enrollment letter below: